Thursday, March 25, 2010

The News

We are finally settled in North Carolina.....well getting there. This is our "newsy" blog about what the Burkhardts have been up to for the last few months. Each topic will be a separate blog entry.

Topic #1: Culture shock.


-The first week we were here, I went to Walmart and was literally overwhelmed by all the choices. I couldn't take it........too many options. I left with a headache. I've happily adjusted since that experience.
-Apparently its takes 2 freezer cases in Walmart to carry all the different brands of frozen biscuits available.....in the world! And since were on that topic, EVERY fast food joint has biscuits available at all hours. Oh those Southerners love their biscuits. Gotta love the biscuit with grape jelly. EWW!
-Every vegetable in the south is cooked with bacon.
-While we were setting up our utilities we asked the kind service rep how much electricity costs around here. She cringed and said, "its really high right now; $.12 a kw/hour." We laughed hysterically as we told her between tears running down our cheeks that we paid $.48 kw/hr in Germany and our bill as we were leaving was around $800. But the floor heating was SOOOOO worth it!
-We needed new wiper blades for our car. Instead of ordering them on line, waiting 2 weeks and then returning them because they aren't right or just putting them on and dealing with it, we drove down the street trying to decide: Checkers, Auto Zone, Pep Boys. Then to top it off, the sales clerk installed them for us. Not that we can't do it ourselves, but seriously it was our first encounter with customer service in soooo long AND we are in the south. YIPPEE!!!!
-When walking down the isles shopping, strangers will come up to me and chit chat. I know. At first this felt like bubble violation. (You know the bubble of personal space we all have which depth depends on our soicalness.) Then I had to keep reminding myself that they were just being nice. This does not happen in Europe!!
-Living in the south is a little bit like living in Utah. Everyone is working really hard to get into heaven, except they all think they've already made it. Praise the Lord!

Keep looking for the next blog-

2 comments:

  1. Oh Corri, you make me laugh! And WELCOME BACK TO AMERICA!!! Isn't it great?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corri! Hope you don't mind me visiting your blog! I saw the link on the Havels :) I Love it! I am right there with you. This move has been the hardest transition for us. Although, I don't think we have the same friendly-ness here. I would love that. :) LOL
    Tami

    ReplyDelete