Saturday, November 21, 2009

London again mate!

Surprise, surprise!!! With our impending leave from Germany looming over head, there were a few last minute trips we wanted to take advantage of while in Europe. As we've learned from living here, you could never cross everything off from your travel list, because the longer you live here, the more places you want to go see. There is one place we have always wanted to re-explore, so my hubby surprised me with a last minute trip to London! (The first time was a crazy adventure and we felt that we didn't get to see it all, a story for another time!) He arranged for everything, even a sitter for the kids, and we took off for two very packed days of touring. Its a quick trip getting up at 3am to fly out at 6am on day one, and flying home the next day at 9pm and home at 12:30 am. Its enough to catch a few of the free museums (all the major museums are free) and touristy spots, and also an evening and matinee show in the theater district.

I just fell in love with the British people all over again. I don't think I appreciated them on my mission as much as I do now after having lived in Germany. I enjoy their dry, cheeky sense of humor, and their interesting use of the English language with terms like, 'round-about', 'bobby', 'nutter', and 'taking the mickey out' of someone. Although I did learn that in London cockney, if someone refers to 'septic' around you it is short for 'septic tank' which rhymes with 'yank'. Glad we're loved over there! And it struck me again, how funny it is that they pose statements as questions that you should feel inclined to agree with. Such as, "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog, now isn't that right?" Um, yes.

The British Museum-where's Brock?
The Rosetta StoneParts of the ParthenonOh yeah, the mummies!EWWW!! Check out the hair!Our pub meal at "The CrownBangers and Mash- just exactly how I remember them!Yummy Curry and Naan Bread!!! A dish I miss- I took a few pf these photos on the mish, now it's Brocks turnThe ThamesPlaying with Billboards, and yes those tourist are looking at me!The first night we saw Phantom of the Opera, which was beautiful! Then we had 10:30 dinner reservations at Chez Gerrard, a yummy french restaurant. We were 'knackered' (yes, a British turn of phrase) by the time we got to the hotel that night since we were up at 3am that morning!The London Eye- I'm affaid of heights, so I opted out of that one! Big Ben is just that: "Big"House of Parliment. They still dress up and debate, and we were anxious to get in and check it out, but they were taking prime minister questions that day and started later than usual. So it was between British politics or seeing "Wicked". We chose Wicked, of course! Although, we were both kind of sad we missed that! We happend to be at Westminster Abbey on Rememberance day, a day for the fallen soldiers and particularly this year for WWII as the last British soldier to fight in the war had died. The Queen made a speech at the abbey while we were there, but we didn't get to see her. There are crosses everywhere for each fallen soldier. Right before, during and after remembrance day, its tradition to make a donation and wear a poppy during the season. We did on the mission, and we felt it was right that day. We wore our poppies supporting the British troops and I still have mine on my coat today. This man really struck me. I'm not sure why, but he seemed to be very solomn, as if he knew some of the people represented by the crosses.Our Matinee on day two.....Wicked, again. Yes, its hopeless: I'm a fan! I'll probably try to catch it again in New York with my sister this year!
Anyway, it took us two trips, but we finally can check London off our list!!!

Itinerary:
-Flew out at 6am with NO MISHAPS on Ryanair, a first! (we dislike that company!!)
-Slept on plane
-bought tickets for the Stanstead Express. Missed train for hot chocolate, and waited 1/2 hour.
-Jumped tubes to The British Museum. Had a wonderful tour guide show us the Rosetta Stone, the mummies, the Parthenon, and a few other displays I don't remember.
- Had lunch at "The Crown" pub. Bangers and Mash, and a curry!
-Did the London Tower Bridge experience and it was really good haunted house. We usually don't go for the scary, but we quite enjoyed ourselves.
-Shakespeare's globe theater, then walked to the Tate modern museum- Quite a bore!
-Checked in at the hotel and changed for Phantom-Beautiful theater, and brilliant performances!
-10:30 dinner at french restaurant
-12 am CRASHED!

Day two-
- Went to theater district and bought tickets for Wicked-
-Checked out parliment and big ben.
-Crossed over to Westminster Abby, toured the Rememberance day memorial.
-Headed over to Dickens "Ye olde curiosity shope" and we were disappointed. Had another pub meal.
-Headed over to the theater district, changed and saw WICKED!!!
- Grabbed a pasty and headed home!




No comments:

Post a Comment