Saturday, September 26, 2009

Crazy or Accomplished?


Brock and I either did the craziest thing we have ever done, or checked off one of our life goals. If you have to question the event with those two choices, it will probably be the former option. We ran our first Marathon in Berlin last Sunday.
All summer we laced up the shoes, listened to tunes, downed the GU and sweat a lot. Why? So we could run for 26 miles and not die. Good news, it worked. We're still alive! 
Crossing the finish line brought an awesome sense of accomplishment and it was so great to celebrate and commiserate with my hubby next to me.  Unfortunately, we did walk away with a few battle wounds, but thankfully nothing too serious. Overall, it was a great experience and I'm definitely looking forward to running another one!

There were 48,000+ people running that day.
Lots of costumes running along side us on the route: Full head to toe leprechaun, a space suit, a dirndl, a fairy costume, and many others. Personally, I think that running with any extra weight or restrictions is crazy, but it made it fun to watch. 
The course runs past famous and beautiful old buildings and monuments in Berlin.
The course begins and ends at Brandenberg gate, pictured above, which once separated east Berlin, and is the last leg of the race.
The race is one of the fastest marathons in the world with the winner coming in at 2 hours 8 min. 

The run was hard work, but we soon discovered the joy of post marathon, and that, is the hardest part! It includes limping, lots of ibuprofen, no stairs, if possible, and icyhot. Sounds really fun, right?!?!? 
 
Coincidentally, Brock's flight right after the run had a orthopedic surgeon on board who found out he's a Mormon when he was the only one not drinking alcohol.  The surgeon told Brock that between running a marathon and drinking alcohol, he'd be better off having a few drinks now and then. That made us chuckle. 

9 comments:

  1. I'd say accomplished! (with a dash a crazy) Congrats you two! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go--I think it is great you two could do this together. It took a couple days before walking normally again and about a week or more before even wanting to run again but totally worth it. I am sure you would agree it is a good hurt, if there really is such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, that's a lot of work. A nice box to have checked and a far cry from Seattle last January! Good luck with the recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wicked impressed Cor. That is incredible, I know that is something you've always wanted to do, and I think it is so cool that you went out and did it. And in Berlin too! Can't wait to see you out here for the Boston Marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so ashamed. Brock Burkhardt ran a marathon before I did. Like for real, he's got the medal to prove it. If I hadn't just gotten another briefing on the statistics of suicide I might consider that an option. ... I'm just speechless. My head is shaking and I'm just thinking how in the heck? I give up.

    Well Brock, you may have the medal but I still have my ribbon from the Abilene Balloon Fest last fall were I took second in my age group. There were only three of us and the one dude finished 18 minutes ahead of me the other stopped at Whataburger during the run so I don't know if this even counts.

    I think the judge stole an elementary school track participation ribbon and had to scratch out his kids name to put mine on it but doggone it is still hanging proudly from my fridge.

    26.2 hrumph, Try 10K some day. Not miles...meters and not just meters but a thousand meters!..then come talk to me. 26.2...

    ReplyDelete
  6. and where's the Bradbury clock? What if Pierce needs to know what time it is where addie's at?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you tell I'm in the desert and bored out of my mind? I need like one of those travel solitaire games or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job Corri! That's awesome. Reminds me of all our early morning runs on the mish. Spencer and I did one a few years ago. I want to do another but the time commitment is a lot (training). Such an awesome feeling at the end though. We just got together as sisters. We missed you. There were some great stories- like Nicole giving a thumbs up to a thumbless man. Classic and getting "nits" in England. And our SLUGS!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!!! I am so happy for you, what an amazing accomplishment, of course, and so much fun for you to race together!!! Good job!! :o)

    ReplyDelete