Friday, July 3, 2009

Dear USAA Insurance,

Dear USAA Insurance,

My wife and I have been your customer for nearly 5 years including banking, insurance, and investments, and we begrudgingly seek your help in compensation for several claims we’ve accrued over the past 2 ½ years while here in Ramstiein, Germany. However, these claims are of an unusual nature, and therefore we are unsure as to the typical protocol used in these circumstances, or even what type of insurance will be affected, or if this claim can be made under a single deductible or if several will be required.
You see sir/ma’am, the claim is against our children for lost, damaged, stolen and otherwise destroyed items. Over the last 2 years our two children (Pearce is turning 4, and Cameryn is nearly 2) have done everything in their power to seek out and destroy every valuable piece of equipment, furniture or other valuables that we own.
For example, just today we discovered that my darling daughter went into our bedroom, found a brand new white sapphire necklace that I bought my wife for our anniversary, and proceeded to loose the pendant so that she could play dress-up with the chain.
My son, on the other hand, uses more of a direct approach with his destruction. Last year he decided to pour an entire bottle of dawn liquid detergent on our nice “indestructible” micro-fiber couches, which required me to lie on the grass outside while I hosed them down in the middle of winter.
At times, however, it’s nearly impossible to determine the culprit. Only a couple months ago I was assigned to travel to Israel on a TDY, but when I went to get my military passport out of my bag, I found it missing. After strip-searching the entire house, I finally had to concede defeat and reported the passport missing, which not only caused intense havoc within our flight (due to last minute changes), but also got me in a LOT of trouble and cost me hundreds in lost TDY pay. (As a side note, the passport was eventually found buried in the linen closet between some sheets, unfortunately this was long after a replacement was ordered.)
Additionally, we shall be claiming against dozens of CD’s, DVD’s, and computer equipment that have been destroyed as well.
Finally, we would also like to claim our sanity. My wife and I used to consider ourselves rather intelligent people who enjoyed robust debates on politics, the economy and world affairs. This has all dramatically changed and our vocabularies have shrunk to 2-3 word, single-syllable phrases such as, “STOP THAT!” “PUT THAT DOWN!” and “STOP BITING HER!.”
So please sir/ma’am, let us know how to proceed. Oh, and I apologize for not calling about this, but my kids lost your business card.

Sincerely,

Brock and Corri Burkhardt

7 comments:

  1. That is rough! They say the more you sacrifice for someone the more you love them. You must love your kids A LOT, which is a good thing! Hope you find the pendant (I'd check the linen closet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! If the claims don't go through do you think we can hook this thing up as like a class action law suit? I'm not generally a big fan of lawsuits but parents against kids? I'm down.

    I'd say that I'll just take it out of their hides or make them take care of me when I'm older but I know things don't work out like that. For instance my mom is old and decrepid and I've all but ditched her on my brother and sisters who have effectively done the same amongst themselves. And in my sister KK's words, "Mom we'll buy you the best retirement care your money will buy."

    Everybody in Salem misses you, sure you don't wanna deploy in the next month or so? Shoot me an email or Skype me some time, I'm always on homey.

    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't we written a book together yet Brock?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey cuz, glad to see everything is well NORMAL, now if you want to see why I think they should sell child size straitjackets at Walmart have a few more kids. j/k no not really.....
    Really it's good to see that you are having wonderful experiences and great times, soak them up, children grow fast, they also suck your brain out, but it's worth it.
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a laugh and a half!!! You win the award!! They should step in for sure.. we love USAA too.. you definitely have a way with words Brock! Think of all the treasures you will soon find!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was one of the best posts I've seen in awhile. SO funny! Hope you don't mind my blog surfing into your world. It's such a pretty one!! Leslie Frandsen

    ReplyDelete