Sunday, June 14, 2009

Welcome to Holland

This is a LONG post.....but do read on. This happened a few months ago, and in light of the school year ending and a recent visit to a friends blog....I have some thoughts to share about my son Pearce.

"Tonight I had a tender moment in the grocery store, and I debated whether or not to blog this, but my sister said 'yes' and since she's always right.....here it is. ;-)
Brock is deployed right now, and I had a few last minute things to pick up at the grocery store tonight (Saturday) so that meant that I had both kids with me at 7p.m. This is something I usually try to avoid at all costs, but with the Hubby gone, you gotta do what you gotta do. In the next isle over we listened for a few minutes to one of the worst tantrums I have ever heard. This child was definitely loosing it in the produce section and from my vantage point I could tell, practically the whole store could hear it. Of course my mind immediately began to question whether this child was on the autism spectrum or a typical kid. Either way, I immediately felt so much empathy and sadness for what those parents were going through. I could see the reactions of everyone around me and their discomfort. I knew those parents were probably doing everything in their power to quiet their child, to move on and just grocery shop. And then out of the blue, a lady commented to me, "It makes me realize how easy I've got it". And I realized that she made the comment to me, because my kids, my Pearce, was acting socially appropriate. I realized that a year ago, I had been where that lady in the next isle is now. My heart ached for so many reasons. I felt so much joy in realizing how far we have actually come. I felt sadness, and hope for the mom in the next isle over. I felt the gratitude from the lady with the comment and realized that she would never understand what the lady in the next isle was going through and she didn't understand who it was she shared her comment with.
With all of these mixed emotions swirling in me, I became teary in the crowded Vogelweh commissary at 7pm on a Saturday night!

There are so many opinions about my son and me as a mom, I have refrained from blogging anything about Pearce. If you met him today, he is a typical, happy, beautiful (in my biased opinion :-) and very energetic boy. If you knew him when we first moved to Germany you would have seen the developmentally delayed, echolalic, melt down, self injurious Pearce. Doctors were sure he was PDD, but unsure about giving him the actual Autism label. He got both labels, and I therefore, got many opinions, both educated and not. But I didn't care, all I wanted was help for me and my son, and boy did we get some fantastic help!




Welcome to Holland

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It’s just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away...because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

Emily Perl Kingsley- This woman raised a child with Downs Syndrome. She was asked to describe her experience in raising a special needs child, and this is what she came up with.

I heard this poem when I was in college training to be, of all things, a special ed teacher. I did not, however, expect to visit Holland myself. Those who have known our family over the last few years have seen the amazing progress of our little guy and can without a doubt say that Pearce is NOT the same kid we brought to Germany. I have refrained from posting anything about Pearce for many reasons, but I just want to send out a special Thank- you to those who have helped us over the last few years; to all the teachers and therapists, good friends, family members, and non-judgmental associates. Without all of you, we would not have seen such wonderful progress. I couldn't have done it alone. And as a side note, having actually visited both Holland and Italy, Holland is definitely worth the trip!



10 comments:

  1. Corri--Thanks for that post. I think the lessons learned there are lessons for anyone, even those going to Italy. Even those who make it to Italy maybe forgot their travel book, ended up in the wrong city, or were disappointed in the dirtiness or Rome (which is totally me).

    We took Brig to the sports store the other night and he was throwing a fit--actually a very small fit comparatively-- about wanting some candy at the check out isle. The lady behind me with older kids whose hands were full of candy being bought for them was giving me/us snotty looks. I got really mad and complained to Adam the whole way home. I made a promise to always have empathy and sympathy because being a mom is hard and even more so for some.

    We are so glad Pearce is doing so well and would die to see you guys sometime soon. We will have to work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corri--I love your post. Thanks for sharing. I have noticed that Pearce has made a lot of progress!

    BTW, that wasn't me in the other aisle, was it??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first heard that poem in a special ed class too! I immediately made copies and told people about it when they asked how I dealt with things early on with Cody. It really gave them a different perspective! Just remember what Ms. Letnes always says. You gave Pearce the best gift a mom could, time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing these tender thoughts and perspectives. You and Pearce have grown tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Corri, your post was beautiful. I love Pearce so much. He is such a peacial guy and I know he is so lucky to have you for a mom. I'll always be here cheering for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a doll!! And Like others have said it is always good to hear the perspective of those living it and having lived it. It gives gives you (and us) so much more advantage having those moments for greater love and to be enveloped in tender mercies for others.. Pearce has always been a boy with energy and life.. I have many nephews who gave me that open heart early on.. but I am grateful that your patience and abilities as a mother have taught him and together you have grown.. I find myself growing a lot with the challenges of being a single mother this past year and then some.. daddy in the home sure makes a difference but our children and especially myself have learned a bucket load about ourselves! Thanks for sharing parts of your beautiful life!! I miss Holland, I miss Europe and I miss friends like you.

    Oh and by the way thanks for taking in my man.. We sure appreciate it!! Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so tender! I know that Heavenly Father prepared you to have one of his most special spirits! He is a lucky little man to have a mom like you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Corri. Nice to have these mile markers once in a while to remind us how much has changed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Corri- Thanks for sharing this. I can not think of a better mom for a boy like Pearce than you. Seriously. ps- my good friend Summer just named her little boy Pearce. I love the name. And I love hearing updates from you on here every once in awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Imagine your surprise when you wake up in Abilene Texas someday, it could always be worse I mean not even Rembrants, just good barbeque and gun shows.

    I really miss my buddy Pearce. We need to figure out what we're doing in the next year or two so we can be neighbors again and you and my wife can be pissed off at your husbands again for always hanging out. We hope you guys are doing well and I'm glad to hear about your kids, I really do love that little man and hope he is doing well.

    Blue Skies,

    Ad

    ReplyDelete